It was a very memorable fall sports season as the Stars student-athletes continued to see success. The football, boys soccer, girls soccer and volleyball programs cumulatively won or tied 85% of the games played with a cumulative record of 66-12-3. The Stars collectively had five All-State, 27 All-Conference, and 18 All-Conference Honorable Mention awardees. In addition, Academy of Holy Angels was the only Catholic High School in the State Soccer Tournament to have both their boys and girls soccer teams participating!
Athletic Director Michael Kautzman reflects, "It was another great fall for the Stars thanks to great leadership by our coaches. Over the last two seasons, five of our fall coaches have been recognized by their coach’s associations for Coach of the Year accolades. They all take seriously our call to lead our student-athletes to grow physically, intellectually, and spiritually and their example is creating a positive culture that is bearing fruit on and off the field."
Some of the fall athletic highlights include:
- Cross Country - Boys were Tri-Metro Conference Champions for second year in a row; girls took 4th in Tri-Metro Conference
- Dance – Fall Club - Increased participation numbers and strong retention heading into the winter dance season
- Football - Record 7-2; rated #1 in Class AAAA for several weeks; won Suburban Red District Championship; Coach Jim Gunderson - Suburban District Red Division Coach of the Year
- Soccer – Boys - Record 19-2-1; Conference Champions, Section 3A Champions, 4th Place State Class A Soccer Tournament, Coach James See - Section 3A Coach of the Year
- Soccer - Girls - Record 17-3-2; 17 shutouts in the season, Section 3A Champions; 3rd Place State Class A Soccer Tournament; Assistant Coach Amanda Heimman - Section 3A Assistant Coach of the Year
- Swimming – For the third year in a row, the swim team won the duel meet against Columbia Heights. Of the 10 girls who competed sections, six were from Holy Angels and three have competed at sections all four years.
- Tennis – Girls - Finished 4-3 in conference; Jessie Tschida was the only conference player to remain undefeated in singles in the conference.
- Volleyball - Record 23-5; Centennial Tournament Champion; ranked in Top Ten for much of season
Congratulations to all of the fall athletes and coaches, and best of luck as we kick off winter sports season!