4. Codes of Conduct
Student-Fan-Participant Code of Conduct
The Academy of Holy Angels prides itself on being a community of respect that follows the best of our tradition as a Catholic, CSJ, and AHA Way school. For that reason, fans are expected to carry themselves in an exemplary manner. The following are some basic expectations that each individual is expected to follow.
- I will stand at attention with a respectful demeanor for the National Anthem.
- I will applaud during introduction of all players, coaches, contest administrators and officials at every game.
- I will shake hands of opponents, coaches and officials prior to and after the contest, regardless of the outcome.
- I will treat the competition only as a game, and conduct myself within the spirit of competition.
- I will show concern for injured participants regardless of the team.
- I will remain free from drugs, tobacco and alcohol.
- I will encourage those around me to display good conduct.
- I will not encourage any disrespectful or derogatory yells, chants, or gestures.
- I will cheer for AHA, not against the other team.
- I will refrain from using profanity, abusive language or negative personal remarks.
- I will treat all participants including coaches, fans, opponents, event workers, and officials with respect.
- I will follow the coach’s or moderator’s instructions or directions.
- I will be a positive role model and display Christian sporting conduct.
Failure to abide by this Code of Conduct by engaging in any inappropriate conduct may result in removal by a school official, game official, or police officer from the activity, suspension from future school events, or a no trespassing order from AHA campus activities and/or dismissal from the school community.
To provide a safe and fun atmosphere for our fans, Holy Angels will provide site supervisors and/or chaperones for most activities. The persons chosen for these roles are professionals from the community who are conscious of the mission of AHA and who have been instructed on the procedures to help foster an environment that reflects this mission. They should be shown the greatest respect in their role of carrying out this important task for the community.
The supervisors/chaperones will follow this general protocol in regard to negative fan behavior:
- Warning – person exhibiting negative behavior will be given a verbal warning explaining the behavior which is objectionable.
- Removal to separate seating area – if the behavior does not stop or if other objectionable behavior occurs, the person will be asked to leave their seating area and to take a seat in another designated seating area reserved for such purposes.
- Ejection from Event – if behavior continues to occur, the person will be ejected from the game and the first stage of the ‘3 Strike Rule’ will begin.
*If behavior is determined to be particularly offensive, the Site Supervisor or chaperone has the authority to move immediately to ejection. As the trained professional given authority for this role, the discretion of the Site Supervisor or chaperone is to be respected.
Consequences of poor sportsmanship/behavior at games
Poor sportsmanship will result in the 3 Strike Rule:
- 1st Occurrence—Ejection from the event
- 2nd Occurrence—Suspension from events for 2 weeks
- 3rd Occurrence—Suspension from events for the balance of the current season, including post-season games. Subsequent occurrences will result in no admittance to home or away events for the balance of the current school year.
Parent Code of Conduct
- I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, contest administrators and officials at every game.
- I will place the emotional and physical well being of participants ahead of the desire to win.
- I will demand an activities environment and school campus that is free from drugs, tobacco and alcohol and will refrain from their use at all AHA activities.
- I will ensure that the activity is student-centered.
- I will do my best to make sure that AHA activities are fun and positive for the students.
- I will treat all participants including coaches, fans, opponents, event workers, and officials positively and in a respectful manner.
- I will not berate the officials.
- I will support the coach’s or moderator’s instructions or directions.
- I will refrain from using profanity, abusive language, or negative personal remarks.
- I will communicate my concerns through appropriate channels in a dignified manner.
- I will not throw anything onto the playing field or performing space.
- I will be realistic about the participants’ capabilities and emphasize how to improve performance.
- I will be a positive role model.
(Refer to Conflict Resolution Procedure later in this document.)
Failure to abide by this Code of Conduct by engaging in any inappropriate conduct may result in removal by a school official, game official, or police officer from the activity, suspension from future school events, a no trespassing order for AHA campus activities and/or dismissal from the school community.