Health - Online
Grade Level: 9-12
This course takes a holistic approach to health as it includes physical, social, and emotional aspects of health. It is a required curriculum for all four years for students in grades 9-12. Because the curriculum is taught each year, it allows faculty to present to and discuss age-appropriate health topics with students. The course is taught combining online work with in-class, face-to-face interaction and instruction by a health teacher. Students will meet with teacher for classroom instruction and will communicate and work online with the instructor to complete assignments.
The Safe and Sacred Places Curriculum is used for the purpose of fulfilling the Protection of Children and Youth mandate of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. It is a safe and healthy relationship education program for the prevention of sexual abuse; it is not about sex education. If you have questions about this curriculum, please talk directly with the health teacher, a theology teacher, an administrator, or counselor.
- Make healthy choices and understand how our decisions impact our health.
- Identify ways to cope with peer pressure.
- Demonstrate how personal behaviors relate to health and how they can be modified or reinforced to improve or maintain one’s quality of life.
- List the essential nutrients and their role in growth and development.
- Evaluate and analyze daily dietary requirements with regards to FDA guidelines.
- Record and analyze their diet.
- Explain the harmful effects of vaping, tobacco, alcohol, and drugs.
- Describe the types of pathogens that cause disease.
- Identify infectious and non-infectious diseases.
- Describe the cause, means of transmission, symptoms, and treatment for common infectious diseases.
- Recognize and respond to an emergency situation.
- Reduce transmission of disease before and after care.
- Administer basic first aid.
- Evaluate between life-threatening and non-life-threatening situations.
- Contact and communicate with EMS.
- Administer basic CPR and recognize when it is needed.
- Recognize and administer the use of an AED.
- Evaluate healthy life styles in relation to the following:
- Mental health and emotional wellness;
- Violence awareness;
- Substance use, abuse and addiction;
- Human growth and development;
- Diversity awareness; and
- Personal safety.