The English Department is a vital and integral part of the educational program. We are committed to providing our students with instruction consistent with and supportive of our Catholic, Christian values. Rooted in the Academy's mission, we strive to educate the whole student: intellectually, spiritually, morally, and emotionally.
To ensure that our students will be successful, we teach effective written and oral communication skills. Our instructors strive to give students the tools they will need to speak articulately, to write clearly, to use technology effectively and ethically, and to think critically, analytically, and creatively.
Our goal is to create lifelong learners, readers and writers.
Department Learner Outcomes
- Exhibit competent spoken and written communication
- Comprehend demanding literature
- Demonstrate critical, analytical, creative thinking and problem solving
- Exhibit broad language and vocabulary skills
- Produce effective expository writing
- Gain respect for each individual's diversity and point of view
- Experience assigned reading inside and outside of the classroom
- Acquire skills and practice for collaborative endeavors
- Be well-prepared for college, career and beyond
- See our current Program of Studies for the complete English curriculum.
- English 10
- AP English Literature and Composition
- Advanced English 9
- English 10
Case Unverzagt, Department Chair
- Advanced Placement Language and Composition
- English 11
- English 9
- Advanced English 10
English Class Photos